Kenya - A Country That Stole My Heart

Monday, June 28, 2010

And the vaccinations continue...

A nurse straddles either side of my body, grasping each arm to keep me from jumping from my seat. ‘Because you have to have so many vaccinations today, we are going to go about this like we would with a child - quick and easy’. Simultaneously they count down from three and then inject me. A slow pain dissolves around the point and then the needle is extracted. ‘Three, two, one’, and I am injected again - I feel so violated. But, it’s all for the love of travel… and those delicious lolly pops you receive for bravery. But seriously, without these vaccinations, my trip to Kenya would become increasingly dangerous and I may forfeit my right to enter back into Australia, spending my future years in quarantine.

As it has been some time since I last wrote, I thought I might quickly update you. Today I had my second dose of injections, totaling four needles and an oral cholera vaccination.

In the preceding months, I have changed my flights and will be now leaving in four weeks instead of the later half of August and will also be returning to Australia the end of November instead of the beginning. Thus, I will now be spending a total of seven weeks in Africa on volunteer placements.

Your donations continue to come effortlessly and your generosity and support, together with my time, will be bound to create something fantastic for those who really need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment